It’s hard to believe that a technical recruiting process is similar to posting a job vacancy on several job portals. Today, technical recruitment is at its peak – as more and more companies are leveraging modern technologies such as websites and mobile applications for brand marketing.
Thanks to advanced technology, which has increased the demand for engineers and developers across various industries.
But how to hire a technical team?
Hiring a technical team can be challenging for non-tech recruiters who have the least or no experience in technical recruitment. It’s important to hire the right person for a particular job profile as it impacts the business’s overall productivity.
If you’re the one struggling to conduct a technical recruitment process, then keep on reading this article. Here we will discuss what technical recruitment is and how to set up an effective recruitment process.
What Is the Technical Recruitment Process?
A technical recruitment process is one of the best ways to assess a candidate’s skills to get a deep insight into whether a candidate is a right fit for the organization or not.
The primary aim of any recruitment process is to onboard the right talent for a particular job role. Not only does a streamlined recruitment process allow you to hit your hiring goals, but it also helps you to do so quickly at a scale.
How To Setup An Effective Technical Recruitment Process?
Now you have a glimpse of what exactly technical recruitment is, let’s move on to discuss how to set up an effective recruitment process to hire the right talent for your organization.
This is the first step in any recruitment process, and a recruiter or HR conducts it. It starts by assessing candidates about how familiar they are with the organization. The screening call is conducted in 3 different parts, which are as follows:
- Work Environment And Job Description: The first part includes explaining to the candidates about company culture, work environment, and job role. It also consists of a briefing about the founders, CEOs, team they would join, the type of contract length, and the time zone. This part usually takes 10-15 minutes.
- Candidate’s Professional Background And Motivation: The next step is to know the candidate’s background and experience. It is about getting a deep insight into a candidate's knowledge, what role they’re looking for, what salary they’re expecting, and their notice period in the current organization.
- Light Technical Screen: The last part consists of having a technical conversation with candidates around topics they should be comfortable with.
Hiring Manager Call
A hiring manager call is conducted to assess whether a candidate is a right fit for the culture or not. Remember, this call doesn’t focus on the candidate’s technical skills.
The hiring manager call is divided into two parts, mainly:
- Understanding The Role: The hiring manager is the person who well explains the role to the candidates. It includes telling candidates about the challenges, day-to-day responsibilities, the tech stack, etc. The primary role of this stage is to motivate candidates to perform best in their particular job role.
- Candidate’s Experience: This part focuses on the candidate’s cultural fit rather than technical skills. Rarely do candidates get rejected in this stage due to a lack of skills.
A technical round plays a crucial role in technical recruitment. It helps recruiters to evaluate the right talent with the right skills.
In a technical round, recruiters give challenges to candidates, such as asking them to write a code or solving a real-time problem. This test provides recruiters a deep insight into who has the right skills and who is fit for a particular job role.
Here are two essential points to keep in mind when setting up a technical round:
- Narrow Scope: If you’re conducting an online assessment for candidates, make sure they can complete it within 2-3 hours. If you’re unsure about how long a test will take, ask your senior management to take the challenge and multiply the time spent by 1.5 to get an accurate estimation.
- Resemble Real Work: Several tools, such as Intervue, will help you conduct online assessments easily.
When assessing candidates’ technical skills, it’s essential to consider the whole interaction with the candidate, not just the code. It means considering the clarification questions they ask, the structure of their implementation, the test coverage, the PR, etc. All of it provides an important signal of what it would be like to work with this candidate.
Here comes the last part of the technical recruitment process. An interview is taken by managers and senior leaders at the company or the members of the team.
The candidates who reach the interview stage should already be vetted from a technical point of view. So the goal is to try to define how it would look like to work with this person daily.
The primary aim of an interview is to minimize the risk of hiring the wrong talent. It should help the other members to introduce candidates to the people they would be working with.
This is also an opportunity for recruiters to hire the right person for a particular role. Typically, the offer rate for candidates who reach this stage is moderately high.
Focus On Candidate Experience
Today, more and more companies are focusing on a candidate-driven approach to build a positive employer brand on several websites.
Focusing on candidate experience is not just important but should be your top priority. Candidates will have a bad experience when they don't respond from your side or any fault in the recruitment process.
This will impact your employer brand on different career and review websites.
One single mishire can cost you more than you invest in technical recruitment. A proper technical recruitment process assesses whether a candidate is a right fit or not to avoid such mishaps.
Technical hiring is hard – but it becomes easy to have the strategy and tool by your side. For example, you can leverage the power of Intervue to conduct an online assessment for candidates.
That said, the points mentioned above will help you set up the best recruitment process and hire the right talent for your organization.