Since its introduction in 2004, Ruby on Rails has remained a common programming language. It has brought significant market benefits to all those who have adopted it. During that time, ROR has assisted technical experts in cutting production time by up to 50% as opposed to alternate languages, resulting in considerable cost savings and increased ROI.
Given the amazing advantages ROR has to offer, working with ROR is quite the challenge. ROR experts are in great demand and are hard to find. When confronted with this particular problem, there are usually two solutions:
- Taking assistance of a specialized software house that has a team of skilled ROR developers, or
- Find a ROR developer by yourself
If you have chosen the second option, this article will guide you the right way.
Hiring Ruby On Rails Developer: Things You Should Be Aware Of
Hiring anyone for any given role is pretty much a challenge in itself. But when you are given the task of hiring people in a field you have no experience in, it is daunting. With that being said, if you keep certain things in mind and make sure you follow the given guideline, taking interviews should be a breeze.
- The very first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with the topic. There are an array of sources to help you find the required material.
- You should also consider talking to an expert. By doing so, you will have a better understanding of what is required in a ROR developer.
A Guide To Hiring Ruby On Rails Developer
Given below is a small guide that you can use as a reference at any given point in time.
Understand The Needs Of The Job Role
This is among the most important things you should do. Of course, a developer is primarily required to develop web pages or applications. Yet, you need to make sure what exactly the company is looking for and what their bigger picture is.
With that in mind, you can judge the applicants better.
Ruby On Rails Required Skills
As with any profession, being a ROR developer means being good with a certain set of skills.
When you’re on the lookout for an experienced ROR developer, here is what you should keep an eye out for:
- Basic GIT - clone, push, commit.
- Agile Methodology
- Linux Administration
- Should know how to set up a Rails environment
- Should be efficient in using generators to create models, migrations, and controllers
- Should be efficient in creating and using migration to handle the database
- Should be efficient in creating a unit test using RSpec/etc
- Should be efficient in creating a model and basic validations
- Should be efficient in managing a GET request utilizing a Controller, View, and Model
- Should be efficient in managing a POST request using a Model, View, and Controller
- Should be able to analyze an application for memory and performance issues
- Should be able to analyze an application for security issues
- Should have a good understanding of query analysis and database modeling
- Tune a production deployment (Apache, Thin, Passenger, etc.)
- Should have a good understanding of Ruby metaprogramming
- Mentoring skills
- Should possess good communication skills
- Estimation and Planning
Once you’ve understood the requirements, you should start working on questions. This means you should come up with a list of Ruby on Rails Interview Questions. This list should also consist of advanced Ruby on Rails questions to help you hire candidates for a senior-level ROR developer role.
Here is a small list of Ruby on Rails questions to help you get started.
- With the help of an example, explain Rails MVC implementation.
- Describe how (almost) anything in Ruby is an object.
- Draw a deployment architecture for a Ruby on Rails app that uses several servers.
- In Ruby, there are 3 methods to call a method. Could you please give me at least two?
- How can a Rails application be secured to avoid Session Fixation?
- What is the process of validation? What is the best way to manage validation code?
- Is it possible for clusters to access the same memory? Is it possible for one cluster to manage a client request that was previously managed by another?
- Explain the steps for writing and running a Ruby on Rails application?
- In Ruby, how do you accomplish Multiple Inheritance?
- How can 2 databases be used with a single application?
- Define a symbol, and what are the drawbacks of using them in web applications?
- What are database transfers and how do they function in Rails?
- What exactly is CSRF? What security do Rails provide?
- In Ruby, what are the functions of load, require relative and autoload?
- 16. What is the best way to call the base class method from within an overridden function?
- What is the best way to use Rails Observer for multiple models?
- Can partial views be embedded within layouts? How do you do it?
- How do you go about bringing process overloading into practical terms?
x = “hello”
What is the difference between the given two:
x.concat " world" and x += " world"
Using Online Tools
Even if you’re adept with coding or if you’re as familiar with the concepts, it’s nothing to worry about. There is the option of using online code Ruby sandbox and live interview tools to help you assess the coding skills of the applicants.
Making use of such interview tools will help you save time and energy. Choosing the right fit will be all the easier.
By now you should have a fair idea of what you should do. Make sure you follow the given guidelines and you will be more than successful in your search for a Ruby on Rails developer.
You can also us technical assessments for ruby on rails to accurately assess developers.