For every organization, having an attractive website is crucial as it is the first thing that a user will interact with. A website can be an excellent attraction magnet if a UI/UX design of a website has a great look and feel.
However, you need some design help if you want to have a good website. And, for building a good website, hiring a great front-end developer is key.
As a recruiter, if you are from a non-tech background, it might be pretty challenging to hire developers. That’s a fact. But, if you can conduct a developer skill assessment designed for frontend developers to examine their technical skills, it will help you to save time, cost, and effort you put into interviewing candidates.
So, how to find a good front-end developer?
In this article, we’ll look at the necessary qualities to look for in a front-end developer, and how you can evaluate and interview the candidates with the least technical knowledge. Let’s find out.
Creating and sending the screening assignments will not only help you to save time but also hire the right talent. The significant benefits of sending screening assignments are:
- Higher productivity
- Increased employee retention and reduction in costs associated with turnover (for example, training costs)
- The less time-consuming hiring process
- Increased sustainability of the hiring process via the object, validated metrics.
Checking a developer’s online presence and portfolios is a great approach towards hiring the right talent as it will help you examine their technical skills. When hiring a developer, look at how well they have put together their online portfolio. This is the best way how developers can showcase their skills.
Additionally, check out their designer portfolio sites, such as Behance and Dribble. With this, you can easily assess the candidate’s skills and passion for designing.
Apart from reviewing their portfolios and online presence, it is important to assess their technical as well as practical skills.
But how you can evaluate a developer’s skills?
Simply conduct a technical skills screening test in which you can ask a developer to design a UI/UX of a website or ask them to write a code.
By using a developer skill assessment software, it is simple to set up and the results are easy to interpret, even if you belong to a non-tech background.
To assess a developer’s skills and passion for designing, you can give them a task to test your website or product. With this, you can easily gauge their problem-solving skills and how he or she thinks out-of-the-box. Also, make sure that the front-end developer you hire fits well with your team and product.
The last step is to take collaborative interviews to assess knowledge in-depth. When hiring a technical person for your organization, you need to make sure that a developer has qualified skills, passionate about the job, and desperate to learn new things. But how to do it?
Here are some things to ask when hiring a frontend developer:
- Discuss basic algorithms, and how would they think/sort/find?
- Can they show a wider understanding of databases?
- Do they have a modeling approach?
- Are they aware of basic algorithm concepts?
- Are they active on GitHub?
- Do they stay up to date with the latest technological developments?
To build robust applications with great usability and attractive design, frontend developers must implement the best frontend development practices. Let’s discuss them in detail.
An ideal candidate must possess a good knowledge of frameworks that equips developers with quick and errorless application development.
A front-end developer should have hands-on experience in using frameworks like Backbone.js, JQuery, Vue.js, Bootstrap, and many others. Experience in at least one framework would be enough to create outstanding digital solutions with the latest features.
A frontend developer must be familiar with the test-driven development which is performed with the development process. It is a must-have skill for a developer to avoid major and functionality blocking errors.
With this skill, it becomes easy to match the development results to the project requirements.
Before you initiate your hiring process, it’s a must to know what skills are necessary for your project.
Following are some of the skills that you must look for in a frontend developer to maximize the chances of hiring the right talent:
- HTML5 & CSS3: To build a website from scratch, a developer must have hands-on experience in HTML5. Plus, your developer must excel in CSS and know how to interpret HTML layout to make everything flexible.
- Angular: A good knowledge of Angular JS, Angular 2/4/5/6 is a must to build dynamic and interactive applications.
- ReactJS: A developer must have experience working with ReactJS as it builds user interface components and implementation of these components with Flux and Redux.
- PHP: A developer must have experience in how to use PHP for frontend programming.
- Responsive and Mobile Design: A developer must know how to optimize the website for mobile devices, as more than 90% of users access a website via their smartphones.
Apart from having technical skills, a developer must possess some soft skills too, which are as follows:
- Creativity: Look for someone who just not write the code but also gives feedback, generates new ideas, and can handle any situation efficiently.
- Attention To Detail: A well-skilled developer must focus on all task segments as well as how they should be performed. Check whether the developer pays attention to the details of a project to generate the best outcomes.
- Learning Attitude: Technology is something that changes frequently and which is never stagnant. A developer you hire must be desperate to learn new skills and explore new technologies. Look for the passion of the developer for the chosen field.
A frontend developer is the backbone of any successful application. Therefore, hiring the right talent is important as they help to establish a brand and increase the credibility of a company’s website/product.
Undoubtedly, it can be very hard for a non-tech recruiter to onboard the right front-end developer for the organization. But with the above-mentioned tips, you will be able to easily screen test, interview, and hire the right candidate for your upcoming or existing project.
Now you have your project requirements, and also know how to hire a great front-end developer. It’s time to find a great front-end developer for your organization.